Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Spiritual Gifts- What's Yours Like?

Spiritual gifts are an amazing and wonderful thing. Honestly, I get a tad confused sometimes though. What exactly are they and how do you know what yours are? Do they ever change and how can you tell if that happens?

I've been thinking a lot about my spiritual gifts and wondering what they really are and what to do with them. I've done surveys that tell you what your spiritual gifts could be {Here! you can too}, but I still find myself with questions. 

How do I really know for sure? Can someone else point out my gifts or is this between God and me? Does it take others talking about their gifts for me to know what even constitutes a spiritual gift in action? So many questions- and so few instant answers. Maybe God's testing our patience together, if so- let's band together friend. 

Spiritual Gifts |  Or charismata are endowments which may be given by the Holy Spirit. These are the supernatural graces which individual Christians need to fulfill the mission of the church.

Charismata |  χαρίσματα  plural for charisma; in general denotes any good gift that flows from God's love to humans.

Below are some passages where we can find biblical references to the gifts listed {I love using The Message translation when I'm having a tough time with a topic}.



Administration        Faith                     Knowledge        Prophecy
Apostleship     Giving Leadership            Service
Discernment         Healing Mercy Teaching             
Evangelism Helping Miracles          Tongues                 
Exhortation     Interpret Tongues  Pastor/Shepherd      Wisdom           

HERE is a great interactive visualization of categories and which gift is included in that category.

Okay! Now we know what our options are. What's next? I hone in on what I identify most with. This part is tricky for me; I get tangled in looking to where I think I fit in best and where I want to fit in best. 

I'm confident one of my spiritual gifts is Administration. I love to track things, make lists, coordinate, and find new ways to share important information. My heart lies in events; it overflows with joy when others come together and experience a well thought out/planned/executed event. I love and am thankful Our Father has blessed me with this. 

So why do I get confused? I guess confusion is the wrong word- I get frustrated. My ego puffs up every once in a while and I want to do more. I want to be more. I get lost in the ways of the world and think I deserve better than what I have. Oh goodness do I need Jesus. My heart knows I've been placed where I am to help others; to do the little things that help add up to the big things. But then my mind thinks I've been doing these things for much too long, I need to spread my wings and deserve to have more. 

What's to be done at that point? More questions arise and I get confused, which leads to frustration. Am I wasting my gifts by acting ungrateful and missing opportunities to best work for the Kingdom? Am I stifling what God has planned for me by passing up other opportunities out of comfort or stubbornness? Do I convince myself I need to make the most of what I have because God placed me here and is counting on me to make a difference? Again- too many questions and not enough answers. 

Here's my resolution- more quiet time with God. He's the one with the answers, the plan, and is well aware of our purpose. When I'm confused I need to go to Him. I think He loves for us to ask Him questions about His plan. So let's do it!

Friend- if you're in this place, can we pray for each other? I'd love to encourage you in this journey and would greatly appreciate someone to hold me accountable and covered in prayers. Let me know in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment